Thanks for visiting the Mount Horeb High School Bands' webpage. If you need further information, contact Will Janssen, Director of Bands: email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call (608) 437-7239.Looking for a list of events for the bands? Select the calendar tab on the left side of the page.Twitter feed: @willjanssenmhLetter for parents of students in the Mount Horeb High School Band: Parent letter
Planning to be in jazz or the musical? If so, you (and your parents) need to complete the Co-Curricular Code of Conduct materials. You can watch the video and complete the on-line submission here: Co-Curricular CodeBand Day at Camp Randall
- Students in the band are once again welcome to participate in the annual Band Day activities, held at Camp Randall on September 9, in conjunction with that day's Badger football game. This is an optional event for band members.
- All high schools with alumni marching in the UW Band get an invitation. We had quite a few MH alums marching so we recieved an invite for this year.
- The busses will leave MHHS at 5:45 a.m. (ugh!) and get back some time between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. that afternoon.
- The cost is $24.00 per band member (we can only provide tickets for band members, thanks).
- We need two adult chaperones who can be with us throughout the day, including the bus ride there and back. If you are available and interested, email Mr. Janssen at your earliest convenience to get on the list. Send the payment ($24.00) along with your child's payment and permission form.
- If you are a fall sport athlete, please check your schedule BEFORE registering for Band Day so you don't end up with a conflict.
- To get registered, complete the field trip permission form and bring it with a check for $24.00 (made payable to: Mount Horeb High School) to Mr. Janssen at the MIDDLE SCHOOL BAND ROOM by August 17 (he is there Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. starting August 7). You can also turn it in on August 17 when you get your band uniform in the afternoon.
Permission Form: Band Day Permission Form
Some of our upcoming music
September 1 Pre-Game: Soak Up The Sun recording
September 8 Pre-Game will feature some of the music to be performed the next day at Camp Randall for Band Day (songs to be chosen from these)
September 8 Half-Time Show will focus on the work of Smokey Robinson, recent winner of the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. Some of these were written AND recorded by him; others were songs he wrote for various performers.Check out some of these videos!Student Leadership Team for 2017 - 2018President - Eric AlbrechtVice President - Paige RamosBand Board - Jacob Busher, Josh Busher, Scott Hall, Noah Laabs, Kaleb McMillanPercussion Captain - Kyler DonovanMarching Band Student Director -Shay RichardsAdministrative Assistant - Paige RamosLibrarian - Zack AleschUniform Managers - Mikayla Brey, Nick O'Connell, Olivia Elinchev, Alexa Gabel, Josh BusherThis year's scheduleSelect the calendars tab on the left to get to the schedules page.Congratulations Gus!Gus Quade (right side of the photo) is the 2017 Drum Major for the University of Wisconsin Marching Band. He was the Assistant Drum Major last year when Andrew Klunick (left side of the photo) was Drum Major. Both are MHHS alums with Gus having been a member of the tuba section and Andrew a member of the percussion section. Thank you both for representing MHHS with class!August activitiesWe've got a very hectic start to the school year so our early preparation will be key to a great start. Here are the important at the start of our year:
News for AlumniIf you are a recent graduate of MHHS and are currently involved in the band program at your college or university, please let Mr. Janssen know about this. We want to introduce all our alums playing at the collegiate level during half-time of the Homecoming game on September 22. To be part of the introductions, just send Mr. Janssen an email listing your name, what school you are at, and how you are involved.All MHHS band alumni are invited to be part of the Pre-Game Show on September 22. The alumni play with the current high school band on several songs during the Pre-Game Show. We have a rehearsal that day at 5:15 p.m. in the high school choir room, then join with the high school students for a run-through at 6:00 p.m. The performance starts at 6:40 and you're done after the National Anthem so you can enjoy the game with family and friends. Attire for the evening is some type of red shirt and jeans. Contact Mr. Janssen if you need an instrument!Information about the high school band programOur annual Band Handbook provides details about how our program works. Band HandbookHere is a pdf version: Band Handbook pdf"Remind" text serviceIf you would like to receive text message updates from Mr. Janssen about topics like what time to show up or what to wear, join the "Remind" service by sending a text message to this number: 81010. The text you need to send should be: @mrwjNew to band?Please read through this packet that describes how you get involved the program if you want to join for the first time as a high school student: Joining MHASD band programCo-Curricular GroupsOur typical schedule looks like this:"Tuesday Jazz" - our auditioned jazz ensemble meets every Tuesday at 7:00 a.m. plus one other time per week."Thursday Jazz" - this is a jazz ensemble open to anyone interested in playing jazz music. The group meets on Thursdays at 7:00 a.m."Dixieland Combo" - meets Monday nights at a time to be announced, usually around 5:15 p.m.Note identification workWish you were faster at naming notes? Go to this website and use the note naming exercise here. You can select which clef and other details in the upper right-hand corner.Information about the MHHS band programConcert Band course syllabus: CB course syllabus pdfSymphonic Band course syllabus: SB course syllabus pdfWho is involved in band at Mount Horeb High School?Here are some identifiers of band members at MHHS:30% of the entire student body is in band (this year, about 235 students)For the students who are in band . . .more than half hold a job outside the school day85% are in one or more clubs at school, these include:Student Council, FFA, Drama Club, foreign language clubs, and many others65% are student-athletes. Sports band members participate in include:football, volleyball, cross country (girls and boys), golf (girls and boys), basketball (girls and boys), wrestling, gymnastics,swimming (girls and boys), track and field (girls and boys), baseball, softball, soccer (girls and boys), hockey67% of this year's band members have been on the Academic Honor Rolla third of the band is involved in one or more club sports run by groups outside the school districtThese members are successful students, hold down jobs, enjoy a variety of sports and clubs, and participate in band! The music staff works carefully with the adult leaders of our school to make it possible to be as involved as much as you want without conflicts. There is a place for you to be involved in the Mount Horeb band program!Taps ProgramTrumpet players who would be willing to play for military funerals in our area volunteer to be part of the group who make themselves available to play when the need arises. Here is additional information:Taps Program infoMusic Boosters Summer Camp Reimbursement FormIf you attended a summer music camp; are involved in WYSO or Winds of Wisconsin, and would like to apply for a partial tuition reimbursement from the Mount Horeb Music Boosters:Camp reimbursementStudents who are part of the Wisconsin Honors Music Project can apply for a partial reimbursement of the expenses our school does not pay: Honors reimbursement
- August 17 - ALL band members get uniforms and school instruments (specific times are listed on the band calendar for next year)
- August 21 through 24 - ALL freshmen have band from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. (meet in the band room)
- August 21 and 22 - auditions for the stage parts for the fall musical (sign up for a time in August) (optional)
- August 28 and 30 - marching band camp for ALL band members from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- September 1 - first performance for game vs. Waunakee
- September 8 - second marching band performance vs. Beaver Dam
- September 9 - Band Day at UW (optional)
- September 22 - Homecoming